Common Fraud Schemes
Local Police and the United States Postal Inspection Service are investigating a rash of thefts from street mail collection boxes. The scam, known as “check washing," starts with the theft of envelopes containing checks from mail collection boxes. The stolen checks are then altered with the dollar amounts and payee names changed.
How to Protect Yourself
- When possible, avoid using street mail collection boxes. Bring outgoing mail to the collection boxes inside the post office.
- Fraud Prevention Gel Pens are available at office supply retailers which use a specially formulated ink to help prevent check washing and other document alteration
- Check online banking daily for suspicious activity
- Check bank statements monthly
- Report unauthorized transactions immediately to your local branch representative or by email to [email protected]
Work at Home
How Do You Know If It’s A Scam
Scam Red Flags
Access our Scam Red Flags List here.
Consumer Protection Press Releases - FTC
Consumer Protection Business Center Blog - FTC